Introduction (Please Read):
This document will provide you with the steps necessary to completing the installation of SQL Server Express 2005.
If the MSXML or any of the other components don't install properly, then it is likely that you have a previous version of the component installed.
1. Go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301 and download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility package.
2. Once the package downloads, double-click on it to install it.
3. Once the installation finishes, run the program (go to your Start Menu --> All Programs and select the utility).
4. In the window that opens, scroll through the list and identify any MSXML or SQL programs. For each one, select it in the list and click the Remove button. NOTE: Be cautious when removing any programs with this tool as you will be permanently removing programs from your computer. Do not attempt unless you understand what you are removing.
5. Once this has been done for each of the previously existing programs, close the Windows Install Cleanup Utility and go through the installation again.